Every year since I was born pretty much we have taken a family trip to Lake Tahoe. Lake Tahoe has always been one of my most favorite vacation destinations. It is a wonderful place to relax, recreate, or explore all year round. I was lucky that my parents bought a timeshare condo back in 1981…happy birthday to me. That was the same year that I was born. We would usually visit during April. The weather in Tahoe is always really nice that time of year. We are able to enjoy skiing and snowboarding which are our favorite Tahoe activities, and yet it isn’t overly cold. We were able to come for a week every year, and in April that week was extended to 10 days much of the time.
I have also ventured to Tahoe many times without my parents with various friends and or family. I have stayed in hotels, condos, vacation rentals, and even in a friends’ home. Even though I have been to many places around the world Tahoe is still one of the most beautiful places that I have explored. The lake is beautiful all year round, but I especially love Lake Tahoe in the winter. Snow capped mountains surrounding the crystal blue lake , and the views from the top of Mount Heavenly ski slopes are spellbinding.
Some of my favorite things to do in Tahoe are:
- Skiing/snowboarding- Lake Tahoe has quite a few ski resorts. My favorite places to snowboard are Mt. Heavenly, Northstar at Tahoe, Sugar Bowl, and Kirkwood. I also love to return to the condo or vacation rental at the end of the day and relax in the warmth of the Jacuzzi, or sit by the fire and watch the snow fall.
- Cheap buffets- Not everyone is a fan of buffets, but if you’re looking for an inexpensive way to eat out they are usually the best deal. Reno is also only an hour away and there are many casinos with great buffets. My favorite buffet is at Toucan Charlie’s in Atlantis Casino. My parents love the All you can eat lobster buffet at Boomtown Casino. In Lake Tahoe there is a buffet at Mont Bleu Casino and Horizon Casino. Buffets are great options for families as they offer variety for even picky eaters. If you prefer to skip the buffet there are a number of diners that are affordable, and for a step up Stateline Brewery is quite delicious. There are also some great happy hour deals at various casinos.
- Hiking- Tahoe is so beautiful that when the weather allows you can’t help but explore the outdoors. There are a number of beautiful trails to explore. One of my favorites is Eagle Falls.
- Emerald Bay- A visit to Tahoe is not complete without taking a drive around the lake, and visiting the beautiful Emerald Bay. You can also take a cruise on the lake and around the island. They offer tour cruises as well as dinner cruises. I would say you should definitely do it at least once. It can be a bit chilly on the water certain times of the year so bring a coat and scarf. Don’t forget to visit the Viking homes…though they are usually only open in the warmer months. Snow doesn’t allow you to explore to thoroughly in the winter.
- The Lake- In the summer months there are many water activities to partake in. You can also take the lake cruises in either the glass bottom boat, or dinner cruise. It is also nice to just go down to the beach and enjoy an afternoon picnic.
If you ever have the chance to visit beautiful Lake Tahoe you definitely should. The area is a gambler, outdoor enthusiast, food lover, and a sportsman’s paradise. I am sure that once you make that first trip to Lake Tahoe you will instantly fall in love as I did growing up. As you drive away from Lake Tahoe and wave goodbye (which is one of our family traditions) you will be eagerly awaiting your next visit to this scenic destination where the discoveries continue to be endless….